Pages

Monday, June 30, 2008

Seattle Environment

I'm over halfway done with my time in Seattle, and I haven't shared yet about the place I have been calling home. The house has three bedrooms and a large yard (for Seattle). Side note: The yard is easily mowed by a mechanical reel lawnmower. That's right, no electric or gas power and the only maintenance is sharpening the blades every few years.
Below is the kitchen and the little booth where I like to read the Seattle Times almost every day. Interestingly, many of the windows in this house (like others in Seattle) do not have screens: they don't have to worry nearly as much about insect pests as we do in other parts of the country. They also don't need air conditioning to be comfortable because it almost always cools off at night.


This is my bedroom. I've added the extra comforter on top of the quilt and sheets, and along with my hoodie, socks, and flannel pajama pants, it's about enough to keep me warm at night.


And this, my friends, is the elaborate chicken coop, designed and constructed by Rob and Lee themselves. After much research and preparation, Lee's long standing dream of becoming and urban farmer has come true as of about one month ago when eight chickens arrived in the back yard. Since their arrival, I have begun to notice the prevalence of chicken language in our society: think chicken legs, pecking order, flying the coop, etc. I think someday a sermon needs to come out of my experiences with these chickens. Our nearly daily observation of them is called chicken t.v.


Here we have, from left to right, Susan's rear (gray), Earla (orange), Katie's rear (black), Felina (lighter gray), and Mary's head. Mary is the only one producing certified organic eggs so far, but hopes are high for all the others. Earla's getting big... she could be next. Note: not pictured are Hettie, Anna, and Maud.

4 comments:

Measure in Love said...

is it really that cold at night?? =)

Chandra said...

Sarah,

Thanks for sending us the link to your blog. Even though it is cold, it seems like you are falling in love with the beauty that is the NW. seeing your pictures made me so nostalgic. I just read your sermon and it was absolutely beautiful. Your words were incredibly eloquent and deeply movingly. Thanks for sharing this gift on your blog with those of us who did not have the privilege of hearing you preach it. I look forward to keeping up with your adventures in Seattle. I might even make it out there in a couple of weeks if everything works in my favor. Maybe we can share a meal together or something if time permits. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Best,
Chandra

Amy Marie said...

Hey Sarah,
You should let people know that they can you hear you preach if they link through our website or go to sermon.net/seattlemennonitechurch

I'm enjoying the blog too.

Amy

Erin said...

Hey Sarah...this is Erin, Lee and Rob's "far away" daughter. I'm so glad you are enjoying your time at my house, SMC, and the pacific north west as a whole. Those places mean a lot to me and it is exciting to hear about people connecting to it. Maybe someday we'll get to cross paths. Until then...

Erin