Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Being Installed

Last Sunday (October 25) was my official installation as the "Assistant Minister to Youth and Young Adults" at Richmond Beach Congregational, United Church of Christ.  I didn't expect much.  After all, it was a simple, one-page litany to be read somewhere in the middle of the service, between a song and a scripture reading - five minutes maximum, something that had to be done to make me completely official.  I figured, "installations" are something you do with hardware in a kitchen.  I didn't expect much.

Then, what actually happened last Sunday took me by surprise.  I stood up on the front stage, three steps higher than the congregation, between the lectern and the pulpit, between Pastor Joy and our moderator.  It is always a bit of a sacred moment to be in front of a congregation and to see all the faces turned toward you, waiting expectantly.  Joy read her affirmation of my calling and asked me if I would serve the church to the best of my ability.  "I will, relying on God's grace."  The moderator spoke and then the congregation.  As we bowed our heads in prayer, I could not help the few small and silent tears that came. 

This is what it feels like to be called by a church.  They don't even know that I don't really belong in a suburban UCC church.  Or maybe it's that they know I belong there, can serve there, can covenant with them, in ways that I haven't yet realized. 

1 comment:

Susan Hanzlicek said...

Of course you belong there. God is there. People are there. Faith and God are rather non-denominational, I think. Being with a different group is sort of like putting on a different pair of sunglasses to look out at the same scene. The scene doesn't change, although we see it with a slightly different hue.

Congratulations!