Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Time for a Change

Last spring one of the professors at the divinity school offered this nugget to a person who was about to go on an interview visit to a congregation. The professor said, "The only question you really need to be asking yourself is, 'Can I love these people?'" It was the simple wisdom, so simple that only an experienced minister could have come up with it. Can I love these people?

It's tempting to respond too quickly - of course I can love everyone. Each person no matter status, culture, or disposition is beautifully and wonderfully created. But that simple question is much deeper than a quick response. The answer only comes with time and intuition. First impressions are not likely enough to fully answer. It takes second and third impressions, or an evening spent in community. It takes knowing oneself, knowing one is not just faking it.

I've been deciding this for a couple weeks now, since about a week into my job. Tonight sealed the deal. Yes, I can love these people. I can love these busy, suburban, good, confident, sometimes sheltered people.

This decision / intuition under way (for it will always be ongoing, I'm sure), I decided also tonight that it's time for a change. Thus, my blog has new colors, almost the colors of the peridot, my birthday month's gemstone. They are lighter shades than the bold black and more comfortable. They are also more suitable should I link this blog to the new church web site, coming soon. It's a small change, but it works.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I like the change. It's much more inviting, like a book with a great cover - not to judge by, but to enhance.