Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

My Tennessee Home

Since I left Seattle three weeks ago today I've done a few small things. Unpacked all my and Jamie's belongings; planted a small garden; started a compost pile in the back yard; vacationed with family in Arkansas; sewed curtains for my kitchen windows; pieced together a somewhat ugly wall hanging with Grandma and Jamie; bought a cheap road bike from a store that shall not be named (because everywhere else was so dang expensive); watched lots of the Olympics; adjusted to the heat and humidity; and most recently started the second to last semester of my Divinity school education.

What a life it sometimes is.

My semester looks to be quite a change of pace from last spring, and that is a good thing. My Monday class, Religious Leadership and Liberation Praxis, fills a race and class studies requirement, and I hear the professor is inspirational and practical. I also am doing a readings course on Anabaptist Thought, trying to get a bit of what I miss out on here in this ecumenical setting. I hope to engage some questions of Mennonite identity in the 21st century which emerged in part this past summer while I was a truly urban Mennonite. Also, like most of my classmates, I am in a senior seminar, which will be research, reflecting, writing, and collaboration on a "thesis" type project. My final class is advanced field education, an internship that is quite open and thus remains a bit undefined but will involve dialogue, the church, and sexuality as the three main components. We shall see how it goes!

That's all for now, but I will leave you with some pictures of my kitchen and living room...


No comments: