Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Visitors from Kansas

Last week my parents came to the Northwest. After their visit, I can definitely say I've done everything I needed to do during my time here. I went on the (hilarious!) Underground Tour, learning about the scandalous history of early Seattle and the unique way the city was rebuilt after a fire destroyed much of then downtown in the late 19th century. This is a must visit if you come to Seattle. We enjoyed Beecher's Cheese and fresh raspberries and Rainier cherries at Pike Place Market and went on a sub-par Ride the Ducks tour... and all of that was just on Thursday!

Friday was the big hike. We drove to Mount Rainier National Park, which is south and east of Seattle. Mount Rainier is a 14,410 feet tall, "episodically active" volcano in the Cascade Range. It is a relatively young mountain (500,000 years) and towers above the surrounding mountains, which are much older (12 million years). Rainier is covered by glaciers (35 square miles of permanent ice and snow), and to reach the summit is a feat in itself, requiring training, gear, and time far surpassing that of our trio of Midwesterners. We did about a six mile hike at around seven or eight thousand feet. It was much easier than our adventures of old in the Rockies as elevation was not a problem and the trail was well-used. However, on the way back to the parking lot, we decided to take the road less traveled. A half mile or so down, covering the path was a relatively small patch of ice and snow. It obscured about 200 feet of the path and was relatively vertical down the steep side of the ridge. Only two sets of footprints were there to guide us, much more ominous than the oft-traversed patches of snow we had already plodded through. I was only about six steps out when I realized this was perhaps not the smartest or safest thing I had ever done. I began to tremble just a bit with every movement. As my backpack swung precariously toward the slope on my right, I dug into the snow above me on my left, using my fingers as ice picks. A hundred steps or so and an eternity later, I stepped onto solid ground, hands red and frozen, body shaking and relieved, spirit wanting to sit down and weep. One week later I have regained most of the feeling in my fingertips. I'm happy to say my parents did not experience this same feeling of near death on Rainier. Good for them.

Saturday we trekked to Whidbey Island, taking the ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton where we were met by Kevin Horan, my dad's cousin. He and his wife Nancy were our gracious hosts for the day. We experienced a farmers' market, Deception Pass State Park (again for me), the barley fields of the island, a fresh blueberry pie compliments of Nancy, bald eagles, prevailing winds from the west, and a backyard view of the Puget Sound from their cottage in Langley. What a day it was, the conversation and catching up not excepted!

The rest of their trip was a patchwork of experiences: church and meeting a few folks from Kansas; crab, salmon, and lovely conversation with Rob, Lee, and the hens; the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, which link the saltwater Puget Sound to fresh water Lakes Union and Washington through canals by adjusting the water levels as boats pass between them; numerous bus rides through the city; the Olympic Sculpture Park; and Elliot Bay Book Company.

A few days later I've finally caught back up to myself and the tasks left to do in the next ten days here in Seattle.

No comments: